|Jefferson Animal Hospital’s Commitment to ‘Go Green’
We believe in protecting our valuable resources on earth while promoting pet health and safety. Our goal is to provide eco-friendly services to the community, and we invite all eco-conscious pet lovers to join us in our efforts to minimize our effect on the planet. We encourage input from our clients, in this important area of our work, to help strengthen our environmental policy. We are also happy to share our methods with our clients, to promote our goals of helping the earth in our efforts to help animals. These are some of the steps we have taken to try to make a difference:
Recycle, Reduce, Reuse
- Paper used at Jefferson Animal Hospital may start out as incoming mail, faxes, or other documents, but like some of our feline friends, it usually has a few more lives. These documents are often used again for note paper, and newspapers are often used for hospital bed lining. Any paper that can no longer be used is promptly recycled.
- We encourage the use of email to send correspondence in order to reduce unnecessary paper use in the mail or on faxes.
- Products and supplies are bought in bulk to reduce packaging.
- Our staff is enthusiastic in our endeavors to recycle all possible items, including: glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, chipboard, and aluminum, steel, and tin cans
- All printer/copier ink and toner cartridges are recycled
- We use newspaper for hospital bed lining. Of course, we still use blankets for our patient’s warmth and comfort. But in using newspaper for lining, we use fewer towels and can reduce the number of washing loads each day.
- We only use the washing machine when we have a full load.
- Our handwash stations are equipped with an instant shut-off release aerator to eliminate wasted water.
- We make sure lights are turned off when an area is not in use.
- We are switching from halogen floodlights to fluorescent floodlights both inside and outside the facility to decrease energy usage.
What You Can Do
Some common pet-related household items are recyclable! We encourage you to join us in recycling:
- Paper towel rods
- Empty plastic bottles:
- ear/eye cleanser
- shampoos and conditioners
- pill bottles
- Empty, rinsed cans (don’t forget to remove the label!):
- tin or steel dog/cat food cans
- Aerosol spray cans
We also recommend that our clients sign up for Pet Portals (there is a link on our main web page), a free private pet health website that allows you to manage your pet’s healthcare, view medication schedules and communicate with us online. You will also receive service reminders in the form of email, which allows you to stay informed and up-to-date with your pet’s wellness appointments while reducing the need for paper sent in the mail.